Oh Lovely
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because the Hippie Board is gone. This is your new home.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rosetta Stone?

Go down 
+3
ichthuz
Cath
Kelticmaddox
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelticmaddox
Admin
Kelticmaddox

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 am

Does anybody know how I can download a copy of the Rosetta Stone in Spanish? A friend of mine was able to using a bitorrent system, but I don't have one, wouldn't know how to download one and I don't even know if I'm spelling it correctly.

Any help? I really don't want to shell out $250 for it. (Not like I have the money anyway)
Back to top Go down
https://ohlovely.forumotion.net
Cath

Cath

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:45 am

www.utorrent.com <-- get that

www.isohunt.com <-- then search for it there [don't download from a source that has more than one red tracker]
Back to top Go down
ichthuz

ichthuz

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 2:35 pm

dont use iso hunt.com anymore. it used to be the best, but they've started giving their logs to the MPAA and people are getting busted. use mininova.com for now, and if you start getting into torrenting ill give you a demonoid invite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.danielcoulbourne.com/
screams

screams

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Demonoid is the best. I sometimes use Piratebay too.
Back to top Go down
http://ben-hughes.blogspot.com/
Kelticmaddox
Admin
Kelticmaddox

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone!

After I download the torrent thing, I just go to one of those download sites and search for Rosetta Stone? And then I click on it and it will start downloading using the torrent I previously downloaded?

Sorry, I'm so clueless.
Back to top Go down
Austin

Austin

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:20 pm

rosetta stone sucks balls. steer clear, yvonne, unless you want to develop a.) ridiculously slow vocabulary, b.) vague/not distinct identification trends, c.) poor/awkward grammar structure.

I pretty much consider rosetta stone to be the lazy man's way to (incorrectly) learn a language. really, if you're serious about learning, retention, and comprehension, active verbal use + feedback from someone who is fluent is the only way you'll get it. just the facts, jack.
Back to top Go down
High Voltage

High Voltage

Number of posts : 616

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 1:35 am

Yeah, I used the Japanese one before I moved there, and I realized how fucked up I had learned the language.

I had to re learn a lot of shit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ohpretendersmusic
Kelticmaddox
Admin
Kelticmaddox

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 11:01 am

Austin wrote:
rosetta stone sucks balls. steer clear, yvonne, unless you want to develop a.) ridiculously slow vocabulary, b.) vague/not distinct identification trends, c.) poor/awkward grammar structure.

I pretty much consider rosetta stone to be the lazy man's way to (incorrectly) learn a language. really, if you're serious about learning, retention, and comprehension, active verbal use + feedback from someone who is fluent is the only way you'll get it. just the facts, jack.

I don't have anyone around who I could actively seek feedback from, so thats not really an option. And the spanish speaking people I do spend some time with are not going to speak anything but English with me.

Plus, I already have a 3 year background in the language. I think this will be a good way to learn more and to refresh my memory, and once I do have the oppurtunity to know more spanish speaking people, they can correct any mistakes I make. Besides, no matter how I teach myself Spanish, I'm going to make mistakes and need to be corrected.
Back to top Go down
Austin

Austin

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Kelticmaddox wrote:
I don't have anyone around who I could actively seek feedback from, so thats not really an option. And the spanish speaking people I do spend some time with are not going to speak anything but English with me.
if you're serious about learning a language, ask the people you know that do speak spanish to speak it whenever they talk to you. sorry to say, but unless you are at least semi-frequently actively speaking the language with someone else, there will always be a barrier that will keep you from learning the language, even at an intermediate level. it's awkward at first, yes, but you'll get over it after a while and you're comprehension of the language will improve tenfold

Quote :
Plus, I already have a 3 year background in the language.
I'm guessing this is at the middle/high school level? that's a good foundation for the basics, but I would recommend taking classes or going through textbooks that have good descriptions of conjugation forms and acute descriptions of vocabulary instead. rosetta stone's grammar sections only work on the surface level, and doesn't work from the ground up, like language development should. you might know how a certain phrase is formed, but when it comes to forming others, you won't know the basis on how to form them, and if you only use one or two examples you learned on RS as a reference point, your structural errors will start to show in other areas.

Quote :
I think this will be a good way to learn more and to refresh my memory, and once I do have the oppurtunity to know more spanish speaking people, they can correct any mistakes I make.

it's always awesome to refresh a language and expand upon your knowledge of it, but there are other MUCH better ways to do it that won't harm your future use of the language. trust me when I say, if you have the option of getting it learning it right the first time, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. I know I've made a lot of small, foundational mistakes at the beginning that have literally taken years to iron out, since repetition of mistakes only ingrains it into your mind that much more. from what it sounds like, you basically have a shot at a fresh start with the language- I'd really advise not throwing a wrench in the works by using RS. look for books like puntos de partida or the USO series- they're great for people trying to get into the language, and explain things in a way you'll pick up on in no time.

Quote :
Besides, no matter how I teach myself Spanish, I'm going to make mistakes and need to be corrected.
again, of course you're going to make mistakes that will need to be corrected- that's all part of learning the language. where and how you learn it have a HUGE impact on your future in the language though. trust me, I understand the temptation of using rosetta stone. I mean, come on... direct graphic interaction, a semblance of structure, what's not to love? but, in my experience with the program, it does not work from the roots of the language on up, it is very vague with it's graphic representation of vocabulary, and while it may help you pick up a thing or two here and there, it will not help you make significant overall progress in the language, IMO.

just the words of a future spanish teacher speaking here.
Back to top Go down
Kelticmaddox
Admin
Kelticmaddox

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 10:20 pm

I really, really don't have time to go searching through different textbooks to try to teach myself. I need a program thats going to be an all in one solution. Plus, if I can't hear the language spoken, I'm going to mess up the language horribly, and most textbooks don't work for me when it comes to that.

And honestly, I really don't know anyone who would speak spanish with me. If I asked the like, one person I know, its just not going to happen. Anyone else I know who speaks spanish I only see on a once a month basis, if not less.

If you know of any other easy, all in one programs that will help me learn the language (that I can get absolutely free), feel free to reccomend them, but for right now I'm going with this. And I seriously doubt that its as bad as you say. Since I don't have any other better options, this is the only option for me right now.
Back to top Go down
Austin

Austin

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 8:45 pm

if you have the time to learn it on rosetta stone, you have the time to do it via text and other materials. seriously, look into the puntos de partida 7 series- it comes with a supplimentary cd that will give you instant feedback, it has a great website that has good excersises. it outlines the language from the ground up, and you can take it at your own pace. there is no "all in one" solution- language isn't something you can compact into a relatively small and easy space. if anything, the rosetta stone is severly lacking in the all in one essence, for reasons I've explained before. I really do think you're doing more harm than help for your learning of the language, but if that's what you want to do, I can't stop you. it might not seem like it when you're just at the beginner level, but later on, you'll start realize it, and you'll have to adjust your language rather drastically just so you can formulate some semblance of structure.

overall, I guess I'll just you leave with this. know that the program has it's flaws, and if you must use it, it should only be used as a suppliment to a course or text- it should never be used as a primary source of learning IMO.
Back to top Go down
screams

screams

Number of posts : 630

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 am

My sister is a Spanish teacher and she uses Rosetta Stone in her class... or did, she's on leave for a while now. That being said, I agree with Austin, it shouldn't be the primary source, but is definitely useful. I don't think she would use it if she didn't feel that it worked, she's 30 and has been speaking Spanish for most of her life.
Back to top Go down
http://ben-hughes.blogspot.com/
Existential Cat

Existential Cat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 3:43 am

Seriously though -- Don't go to pirate bay, or any of the others. Demenoid (in my opinion) is a last ditch effort.

The best site I've ever found for torrents is in the shape of a forum called Darkside RG - its where I get everything I download. All the people are very helpful and polite, and all the downloads are class. No viruses, very very few leechers (meaning your download will be fast)

I've personally gone to that website and downloaded Rosetta Stone from the following link:
Code:
http://94.75.224.58/forums/index.php?showtopic=65699&hl=rosetta

And it works. Wonderfully.

(the link I posted has the following languages)
Code:

DVD1:
Chinese (Mandarin)
Greek
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Latin
Spanish (Spain)
Thai
Vietnamese

DVD2:
Arabic................Italian (continuation of classes from DVD 1)
Danish...............Polish
Dutch................Portuguese (BR)
German.............Russian
English (UK).......Spanish (Latin America)
English (US).......Spanish (Spain)(continuation of classes from DVD 1)
French...............Swedish
Hebrew..............Turkish
Hindi..................Welsh

I'm not going to say whether or not Rosetta Stone is an amazing program or not. I just have it for the sake of having it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rosetta Stone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rosetta Stone?   Rosetta Stone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rosetta Stone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Oh Lovely :: The Basics :: Talking about stuff-
Jump to: