Oh Lovely
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because the Hippie Board is gone. This is your new home.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Murphy and Chenoweth's Newsweek Statements "Heroic"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ERERER

Murphy and Chenoweth's Newsweek Statements "Heroic" Empty
PostSubject: Murphy and Chenoweth's Newsweek Statements "Heroic"   Murphy and Chenoweth's Newsweek Statements "Heroic" EmptyMon May 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Today's News: Our TakeGlee's Jane Lynch : Murphy and Chenoweth's Newsweek Statements "Heroic"

May 17, 2010 11:34 AM ET
by Gina DiNunno
5 Comments.?Buzz up!?
?
?
Jane Lynch
Glee's Jane Lynch says show creator Ryan Murphy and guest-star Kristin Chenoweth were "heroic" to denounce a Newsweek article about gay actors, but adds that everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Flip through our gallery of stars who have come out

In a recent Newsweek article, writer Ramin Setoodeh called Glee star Jonathan Groff an "average theater queen" and said Sean Hayes was too "wooden" to pass as Kristin Chenoweth's love interest in Broadway's Promises, Promises. Chenoweth released a statement criticizing the piece shortly after, followed by Murphy, who called for a boycott of Newsweek. GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios echoed Murphy's call for a boycott.

Kristin Chenoweth calls Newsweek article "homophobic"

"The thing is, actors are actors: You can't play gay anymore than you can play somebody who's Catholic," Lynch tells Entertainment Weekly. "I don't think you have to slap somebody down for making an opinion that you don't agree with. But I do think what Kristin and Ryan did was so important, and I'm glad that they said it. It doesn't mean, 'Off with [Setoodeh's] head.' But I'm very glad, and I thought it was very heroic what the two of them did."

Glee creator to meet with Newsweek writer over article on gays

Newsweek and Setoodeh, who is gay, have since defended the article, saying Setoodeh's point was misinterpreted. Setoodeh has also accepted Murphy's offer to visit the Glee writers' room to discuss the piece and for Setoodeh to see an example of what Murphy called an inclusive show.

What do you think of Lynch's comments?

In a new open letter released Thursday to Entertainment Weekly, Murphy said that Ramin Setoodeh contacted him earlier that day to accept his offer — posed in his first open letter on Tuesday — to visit the Glee writers' room to discuss why they took offense at the piece and for Seetodeh to see an example of what Murphy called an inclusive show. Murphy also said Setoodeh can observe the show's casting process so he can witness and speak to the actors, who are encouraged to read for all roles on the Fox series "no matter what their sexual orientation, color or gender."

Glee creator Ryan Murphy calls for Newsweek boycott after "bigoted" article

"Who cares who you are or who you sleep with — men, women, sheep — frankly, it's none of our business or concern," Murphy wrote. "The actor with the best audition should get the part. On Glee, straight actors play gay roles, gay actors play straight roles and no one is discriminated against. I hope observing this process firsthand — and talking with our cast — will be illuminating to Mr. Setoodeh, and inform his future journalistic endeavors."

In his Newsweek column, Seetodeh called Glee star Jonathan Groff an "average theater queen" and said Sean Hayes was too "wooden" to pass as Kristin Chenoweth's love interest in Broadway's Promises, Promises. Chenoweth released a statement criticizing the piece over the weekend, followed by Murphy, who called for a boycott of Newsweek. GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios echoed Murphy's boycott of the magazine.

Back to top Go down

Murphy and Chenoweth's Newsweek Statements "Heroic"
Page 1 of 1