Oh Lovely
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because the Hippie Board is gone. This is your new home.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'Degrassi' Breaks Down Walls -- Again -- With Transgendered Character

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sharong

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2010-04-27

'Degrassi' Breaks Down Walls -- Again -- With Transgendered Character Empty
PostSubject: 'Degrassi' Breaks Down Walls -- Again -- With Transgendered Character   'Degrassi' Breaks Down Walls -- Again -- With Transgendered Character EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:53 am

I remember when 'The Kids of Degrassi' Ben 10 Alien Force DVD Set first aired back in the early '80s -- I'm pretty sure I saw it in the classroom, the last refuge of an exhausted teacher in my downtown Ben 10 Alien Force DVD Toronto public school. I recognized the streets and even some of the kids, since my father lived in the area, and my mom was always sending me to 24 Hours DVD Season artsy after-school programs. Even at that tender age, I recognized that 24 Seasons 1-8 DVD 'Degrassi' was different from other television shows. Mostly I noticed that the kids 24 DVD new release weren't rich, good-looking or well-dressed.

Hey, in television that's already pretty out there.

But as we all know, 'Degrassi' has gone much further than simply showing us kids wearing K-Mart classics to a run-down school. Prison Break DVDs They've shown us teens confronting sex, drugs, abortion, rape, sexual assault, cutting, Prison Break complete box set abusive parents and homosexuality, and all without the after-school-special endings one usually expects from episodes dealing with these issues.

In the world of 'Degrassi' these things are a constant,CSI New York box set as much a part of teenage life as cliques, homework and fashion dilemmas, like it is in the real world. Some critics have lambasted 'Degrassi:CSI New York DVD The Next Generation' for repeating some of the storylines from the older 'Degrassi' franchises, but personally, Ghost Whisperer DVDs I'm OK with it. For one thing, in what universe do people deal with drugs, rape, and abortion only once in their lives? For another, as 'Degrassi'Ghost Whisperer 1-5 DVD celebrates 30 years on the air, it truly is a new generation watching.

And this season, 'Degrassi: TNG' added a transgender character to the show, Adam. He is a female-to-male transgender the simpsons seasons dvd played by actress Jordan Todosey ('Life with Derek'). While Adam will be the simpsons complete dvd box set on the show for the entire season, this week will have his storyline atthe simpsons complete season the forefront as he copes with bullying. For any other show, adding this character would have been a major news story. But for 'Degrassi', which isFuturama DVD Season always ahead of the curve, it is actually expected.
On fan forums, posters expressed pleasure at Futurama 1-5 Box Set Adam's addition to the cast and many said they were just waiting for 'Degrassi' to add a trans character, that it was only a matter of time. That's pretty married with children dvd season amazing, when you stop to think about it. Can you imagine a similar reaction to any other teen show? "Oh yeah, there's a trans character on married with children new release 'Gossip Girl' this season -- but I was expecting that." To quote my teenaged self: "As if!"

The only other place on TV that I can imagine Medium DVD Season audiences expecting to see a wide range of gender identities is on reality TV --Medium Seasons 1-6 DVD Box Set mainly 'Project Runway' and 'America's Next Top Model'. 'Runway' -- both Canadian and U.S. editions -- is a particular favourite of mine in this regard. It has got to be about the only place on mainstream TV where straight Thomas & Friends dvds people are the exception, and where sexual orientation is so beside the point. The struggle to come out, to be true to one's self is usually part of the backdrop buy Thomas & Friends of a 'Project Runway' contestant, but it takes a serious back seat to talent, charm and an ability to sew.

If I have any concerns about Adam's residency on Walt Disney DVD'Degrassi' it's this -- that Adam's trans identity will be his only identity. The struggles of trans kids are immense and Disney 100 years of Magic important, and I'm glad 'Degrassi' is tackling it, but I sincerely hope that the writers take some time away from Disney dvd box set their research and interviews with the trans community to give Adam life beyond those struggles. I hope that Adam has talents, passions, and relationships that are outside this central plotline.

Because overall Adam needs to human, not justThe Simpsons DVDs for the sake of good television (which you know I consider of the highest importance), The Simpsons DVD Set but for the sake of the people watching this groundbreaking moment. For the sake of the trans kids watching, maybe stuck in the middle of nowhere in a South park seasons rural town, wondering if anyone else has ever felt like they feel. For the sake of South park complete dvd the parents of that kid, wondering if their kid is going crazy, if it's just a phase, or if this is for real. And for the sake of the hundreds and thousands Disney 100 years of Magic of kids who will meet a trans kid one day and maybe,Walt Disney DVD thanks to Adam, be braver, be kinder, and be a friend.
Back to top Go down

'Degrassi' Breaks Down Walls -- Again -- With Transgendered Character
Page 1 of 1